In this post, we are going to learn how to test an inductor very fast.
How to Test an Inductor very fast
The main reason for testing an inductor is to find, whether it is good or defective one.
The simplest way of finding this is to use a multimeter with ohmmeter settings and then measuring the resistance values by checking its terminals.
In this article, we will see what values are required to consider that the inductor is working properly or it is a defective one.
This is how you can check an inductor.
Step1: Test an Inductor with a Multimeter
To check an inductor whether it’s good or faulty one, we need to check the resistance of its terminals.
In the inductor, there is resistive material and every resistive material has a resistance, using that resistance measurement we can find that an inductor is good one or not.
The procedure of checking the inductor’s Resistance with a Multimeter:
To check an inductor’s resistance, take a multimeter and put it on the ohmmeter setting then connect the multimeter probes on any two terminals of an inductor you will find the resistance of an inductor’s terminals. The polarity of probes on terminals doesn’t matter because we are finding resistance.
Given the figure shows the exact same.
Points to Consider
- If the measured values are in few ohms than the Inductor is working properly because functional inductors normally show the resistance of few ohms. Usually, it should be greater than 1Ω and less than 11Ω (1Ω to 11Ωs).
If you find values near to these values then it’s perfect :). And your inductor will work perfectly otherwise you need to replace your inductor in order to perform the operations.
- If the measured inductor’s resistance is high, then the inductor is defective and you must replace it.
- If the measured inductor’s resistance is very, very low almost 0Ωs. This indicates that the inductor is internally shorted and you need to replace it.
- How To Test a Relay with a Multimeter
- Introduction to Electronic Communication
- Introduction to BJT (Bipolar Junction Transistor)
- How to Interface Ultrasonic Sensor (HCSR04) with Arduino
- Electrical Engineer Salary in 2018? Fresh Engineer Salary
- What is Arduino Micro-controller? And How to Learn Arduino
- How to Make Arduino Based Radar Project Using Ultrasonic Sensor
- Make Line Following Robot Using IR Sensors and Arduino Uno
In order to check the inductor whether it is working properly or not you need to check the resistance of an inductor’s terminals this is very simple by connecting probes of a multimeter with terminals of an inductor and making multimeter settings on ohm meter you can check the resistance of an inductor’s terminals.
If you find values in between (1Ω to 11Ω) that’s fine your inductor is working well if values are less than (0Ω or > than 11Ωs) its because your inductor is defective one and you have to replace it.